Brotherhood of St Barnabas (BSB)
Community History and Mission
- Community History and Mission
Brother Robin Worsop is the last surviving Brother of the Brotherhood of St Barnabas and now lives in semi-retirement in Charters Towers, Qld.
The Brotherhood was started by Aneirun Vaughan Williams and Joseph Braybarton in 1902 in the tin-mining town of Herberton. They initially called their small organisation the Community of St Barnabas, but referred to it as the 'North Queensland Bush Brotherhood' until 1926. It was then decided to formally call it the Brotherhood of St Barnabas. St Barnabas was one of seven Brotherhoods throughout Australia, but the only one that was involved in schools and education. Other Brotherhoods included, for example, St Paul's in Brisbane, St Andrew's in Rockhampton, and The Brotherhood of the Good Shepherd in Dubbo.